Wednesday, September 21, 2005

"Kiss This Guy", Jimi?

I'm a self-taught guitar player. When i say self-taught, i mean i taught myself through the wonderful world if tablature. When i say the wonderful world of tablature, i mean the incoherent typings of high school kids that post what they believe to be songs on the internet. I learned quickly that the majority of these tabs are shockingly incorrect, even after being warned they were "figured out in math class without a guitar". Even after years of jamming with actual musicians and correcting some of the horrific mistakes i learned from these tabs early on, i still find myself discovering embarrassing inaccuracies in my repertoire.

Still, I continue to log-on and wade through the nonsense, hoping to find the missing note or garbled lyric I can't figure out. Occasionally I run across a total abomination that brings a smile to my face:

Example

Correct

Recently, while singing the Rolling Stone’s Sympathy for the Devil, I announced, "the pilot washed his hands and sealed his fate". (actual lyric= Pilate: Roman prefect of Judea who ordered the crucifixion of Jesus.) I thought it was the dude flying the plane. Guess I have myself to blame for that one.

2 Comments:

  • What's w/ the title of your post?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:49 AM  

  • A reference to the often misunderstood lyrics to Purple Haze, "Scuse me while I kiss this guy (the sky)"

    By Blogger El Tiburon, at 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home